PT&G 30mm Ultra Precision One Piece Mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT&G 30mm Ultra Precision One Piece Mount

After finding a deal on a scope for service rifle competition, my next task was finding a mount. I'm a guy who wants to be competitive, but I'm also operating on a budget. On the high end there is the Geissele mount that runs $350. Not gonna happen. On the low end there was a cheap option from primary arms that looked like it might work for $70. Would I be able to trust it? After searching around a bit it looked like the mounts that were designed for service rifle competition were cantilevered about 3" and put the center of the scope 1.3" off the top of the rail for proper cheek weld. A rough measurement on my rifle seems to show the center of the rear iron sight aperture at 1.5" for my 200 yard elevation and up to about 1.55" for 600 yards. Whether it's necessary or not, I figured 1.3" was the measurement to strive for since that's what the $350 mount has. During my online searching I saw someone mention that Pacific Tool and Gauge has a mount so I decided to investigate.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/14629...ope-mount.html

The full name of the mount on their website is the "30mm ID Zero MOA Ultra Precision One-Piece Scope Mount". That's quite the mouthful, but I figured I should include the full name for SEO purposes.

The description of the mount makes it sound like it was designed specifically for service rifle competition, and it claimed to provide the 1.3" scope height I was looking for. It also happened to be on sale. The price point of $130 shipped seemed to strike a nice balance between not seeming too cheap yet not completely out of my price range. The product description says these mounts are produced on demand so I should allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. Since I usually take August off from shooting, and I didn't mind continuing to shoot with iron sights for a little while longer, I placed my order on August 5th. On August 23rd my new scope mount arrived.
    Scope_Mount_Left.jpg
    Scope_Mount_Right.jpg

Scope_Mount_Top.jpg
    Scope_Mount_Bottom.jpg

In the product description on the Pacific Tool & Gauge website, it says that "It uses two 1/4" square cut, cross bolts designed to be torqued at no more than 65 in/lbs they positively lock into the Picatinny mounting slots on a 1913 Mil-spec Picatinny mounting rail." I was disappointed that the product description didn't include a photo of the bottom of the mount to show the cross bolts, so here is a photo.

Scope_Mount_Cross_Bolts.jpg

The cross bolts are cut square on 3 sides and the 4th side is left rounded. They fit into rail slots with a little bit of play as you can see in the picture above. Not entirely sure if that rail is to spec or if these bolts could have been left a little wider to reduce play in the fore/aft position of the mount on the rail.
    Last edited by WARFAB; 08-25-2019, 05:36 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Tonight I had more time to play around with mounting the scope.

Scope_Mount_Fit.jpg Scope_Mount_Clearance.jpg

The above photo shows the clearance between the thick section of the scope tube and the scope mount. Not all scopes have as large of a turret bulge. As can be seen in this photo the angled section of the scope mount base limits how far forward this particular scope can be mounted. The large flat section of the scope base has the added benefit of allowing the use of feeler gauges to help level the scope. In this particular case, using feeler gauges turned out to be the most accurate way to level the scope.

Mouinted_Scope.jpg
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Comment

Working...
    X