Carp Donktum Meme Lawsuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp Donktum Meme Lawsuit

As a guy who works in the creative realm, this case is very intriguing to me. My initial impression is that Donktum was well within legal precedent to alter the video the way he did. I've read a little bit into the matter in the past and my understanding is political speech receives extra protection under the 1st amendment.

Plus, there is extra wiggle room for satire. I can take a company's copyright protected logo and alter it in a way that is satire and it's not a copyright violation. How many people have seen the Starbucks "liberal tears" logo? Political satire is about as protected as you can get from a copyright lawsuit. Curious if Norm DeGuerre would argue with me on that.
    This appears to be a politically motivated case of lawfare.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#70afdfd71e27

“The fact that Twitter and Facebook disabled this fake video within 24 hours of President Trump and his campaign tweeting it, coupled with Twitter permanently banning Cook, is very strong evidence that a jury will likely find that all of these people broke the law by using this video as advertisement and political propaganda,” said Ven Johnson, one of the attorneys representing the parents.
    ^^^ This is complete BS. Twitter and Facebook are not arbiters of any form of law, and have even argued that the things people post on their platforms are not protected as free speech. The views of Twitter and Facebook have zero bearing on what is legal.

I kinda wonder if this is going to end up being a case that forces the issue of free speech on Twitter and Facebook. The social media giants could end up regretting going down this path. (fingers crossed)
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.
Working...
X