We bit the bullet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We bit the bullet

Pending lawyer Peshitta and inspections, another month or so and we’ll finally have a house
    Attached Files
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Congratulations!!!
    www.AvidArms.com I'm STIHL out of conditioner!!
    Finally joined the ranks of broke homeowner
    Am I short stroking or going to fast?

I know he has a bush

Comment

Congrats. Is this the one with wood foundation? Good luck with everything!

Comment

• camper4lyfe
        camper4lyfe commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is. I’m definitely going to make sure the inspector looks long and hard at it. I couldn’t find any definitive “this was the worst/best design ever” type stories, and most everything else just said “it’s an efficient design but you have to maintain good drainage”. Since it’s 30 years old and we saw next to zero signs of water, we decided to go for it because everything else with the house is right.

Is the basement floor concrete and the walls are wood? I vaguely remember seeing a wood basement being constructed on a show like "This Old House", but I don't remember a lot about it.
      NRA Life Member
      NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
      www.unconvictedfelon.com
      www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by WARFAB View Post
        Is the basement floor concrete and the walls are wood? I vaguely remember seeing a wood basement being constructed on a show like "This Old House", but I don't remember a lot about it.
        Yes, it’s a fully poured slab with 2x8 or 10 walls and plywood sheathing. It’s all heavily pressure treated, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post
          Yes, it’s a fully poured slab with 2x8 or 10 walls and plywood sheathing. It’s all heavily pressure treated, obviously.
          Spray foam insulation or fiberglass insulation against the exterior sheathing? I'm very curious to see pictures of how they did it.

NRA Life Member
          www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Spray foam insulation or fiberglass insulation against the exterior sheathing? I'm very curious to see pictures of how they did it.
            Just fiberglass on the inside.

I'll grab some pictures when we're there for the inspection Saturday morning.

Comment

Doing some research online.

If the wood is treated properly and there's a good waterproof membrane on the outside...... it looks like it would be a pretty cool setup. I wonder if there are some durability advantages over concrete or cinder block construction because the wood can flex with the freeze/thaw cycle instead of cracking.

Like most things, I'm guessing it depends on whether it was done competently.
              NRA Life Member
              www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

That’s the million dollar question. Was it done properly. Given its age, and how dry it still is, we felt pretty comfortable going for it.

The big big key with those foundations is drainage; positive grade and good gutters and downspouts.

Comment

The big big key with those foundations is drainage; positive grade and good gutters and downspouts.
                  With all the trees in our yard I'm constantly struggling to keep the gutters clean and draining properly. Based on the photo you posted it looks like cleaning the gutters out should be less of an issue on that house.

Side note: I'm totally jealous of the garage.

NRA Life Member
                  www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

With all the trees in our yard I'm constantly struggling to keep the gutters clean and draining properly. Based on the photo you posted it looks like cleaning the gutters out should be less of an issue on that house.

Side note: I'm totally jealous of the garage.
                    I'm actually quite giddy over the garage. I plan to plumb up my air compressor so I can work all around the garage without moving it.

It's listed as a 3 car garage, but I think it's technically closer to 4 or 5. There was an old Fox body mustang in one bay, and I'm pretty sure there was room to fit 2 in that spot. It's quite a deep garage.

There's one tree on the back corner of the house that's going to need trimming, I think, if I don't just completely take it down. It's pretty close to the house. But, it's also another excuse to buy more tools...I'm going to need a ladder to reach the upper gutters (and I'll need to grow some balls to climb that high)

Comment

• usmcveteran
                      usmcveteran commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't forget you can get leaf blower attachment so you can blow out leaves without having to use a ladder as well

• camper4lyfe
                      camper4lyfe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unfortunately the gutters are on the second story. Too high to reach without a ladder.

• usmcveteran
                      usmcveteran commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The extension is long and should reach second story if you hold leaf blower over head

Congrats to you. Avon?
                    She wants to be your belly gun

Comment

Originally posted by gtnorry View Post
                      Congrats to you. Avon?
                      Yes and no. Town of Avon but Livonia school district, around the corner from Fratelli’s

Comment

Yes and no. Town of Avon but Livonia school district, around the corner from Fratelli’s
                        Lucky you! Better school than Avon in my opinion.
                        Pennsylvania Ave?
                        She wants to be your belly gun

Comment

Originally posted by gtnorry View Post

Lucky you! Better school than Avon in my opinion.
                          Pennsylvania Ave?
                          Maybe

Comment

Working...
                          X