Exhaust Welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Welding

Wife's minivan has a crack near the catalytic converter so it's noisy. Which exhaust shop does the exhaust welding repairs? Is it Monroe Muffler?
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Monro is legalized robbery.
    welding is a 8itch! Where is the break exactly? you might be able to fix it with a quality sleeve.
    It is a shame when people demanding tolerance, have no tolerance

Comment

Check the muffler shop down the road from you.
      Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Comment

Originally posted by Meketrefe View Post
        Monro is legalized robbery.
        welding is a 8itch! Where is the break exactly? you might be able to fix it with a quality sleeve.
        The other question: why is it cracked?

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post

The other question: why is it cracked?
          No clue. I haven't looked at it myself. We noticed kits been getting noisier. When we had it inspected at the dealership they described it as a crack near the catalytic converter and suggested we take it someplace to get welded.

There's a muffler shop down the street from me?
          NRA Life Member
          www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Originally posted by WARFAB View Post

No clue. I haven't looked at it myself. We noticed kits been getting noisier. When we had it inspected at the dealership they described it as a crack near the catalytic converter and suggested we take it someplace to get welded.

There's a muffler shop down the street from me?
            Sort of. It’s closer to me, though, on 31F. The Muffler Shop, behind BanD auto, across from Pizza Hut.

Comment

behind BanD auto,
              they are still at the end of Jefferson Ave ..??
              I haven't seen Jeff Generous for some 45 years, if his family still even owns the place .,..
              sic semper boogaloo

Comment

Originally posted by Norm DeGuerre View Post

they are still at the end of Jefferson Ave ..??
                I haven't seen Jeff Generous for some 45 years, if his family still even owns the place .,..
                Pretty close to the end of Jefferson, yes. Couldn’t tell you who owns it, though.

Comment

My wife called the place near the end of Jefferson called "The Muffler Shop II" to ask if they do welding repairs. They said welding repairs is exactly what they do so today she took the van in to have them look at what needs to be repaired. They quoted her $400 to "fix the bar that has holes at both ends and then rebuild the flange back up". I didn't talk to them directly and I haven't looked at it myself, so I have no idea exactly what they're talking about. But, they claim it will take 2 hours and cost $400. The minivan sucks compared to my truck because I can't easily roll underneath it on a creeper to see what's going on. $400 seems pretty steep for a welding repair job. It looks like I can probably get a whole new muffler system online for close to that. Installing it is a different matter.

No idea if the $400 quote was the XX price and the XY price would be cheaper. My wife took her old car to a repair shop that everyone claimed was super honest and reputable. She was told one price and then when I showed up to get the car and expressed my disbelief at the price the mechanic gave me a song and dance about how that was "the most it could possibly be" and that it didn't end up costing that much in the end. The final price still wasn't exactly cheap so we never went back to him.

On to the next place.
                  NRA Life Member
                  www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Originally posted by WARFAB View Post
                    My wife called the place near the end of Jefferson called "The Muffler Shop II" to ask if they do welding repairs. They said welding repairs is exactly what they do so today she took the van in to have them look at what needs to be repaired. They quoted her $400 to "fix the bar that has holes at both ends and then rebuild the flange back up". I didn't talk to them directly and I haven't looked at it myself, so I have no idea exactly what they're talking about. But, they claim it will take 2 hours and cost $400. The minivan sucks compared to my truck because I can't easily roll underneath it on a creeper to see what's going on. $400 seems pretty steep for a welding repair job. It looks like I can probably get a whole new muffler system online for close to that. Installing it is a different matter.

No idea if the $400 quote was the XX price and the XY price would be cheaper. My wife took her old car to a repair shop that everyone claimed was super honest and reputable. She was told one price and then when I showed up to get the car and expressed my disbelief at the price the mechanic gave me a song and dance about how that was "the most it could possibly be" and that it didn't end up costing that much in the end. The final price still wasn't exactly cheap so we never went back to him.

On to the next place.
                    I've had pretty good experience with Rytek, a mechanic shop. Might be worth giving them a call.

Comment

I've had pretty good experience with Rytek, a mechanic shop. Might be worth giving them a call.
                      Rytek was the unnamed shop that played games with the price in my above story. Maybe I'll ask him for a quote. Most of the people I know who've dealt with him claim he's honest, but not cheap.

Maybe I'm just an old fart. Everything seems expensive these days. The price on just about everything seems to be going up while my paycheck remains stagnant. On the plus side, firearm and ammo prices seem to have come down lately.

NRA Life Member
                      www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

sorry, not in a position to help at the moment
                        there are 2 cars in the way at the Farm in Avon
                        if it don't get fixxed, maybe later on late spring
                        you won't need any money, but you better bring beer .. :
                        sic semper boogaloo

Comment

Got a quote from Monro Muffler.

We now have an appointment at The Muffler Shop II for Friday.

$450 doesn't seem so bad anymore.
                          NRA Life Member
                          www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Exhaust in this area is not fun. Everyone has different ways of fixing things. The key is how long do you want the repair to last? That'll tell you how much you spend.
                            Sticky Lips at High Noon!

Comment

Yep ...
                              I only buy OEM stuff for my cars, as the trouble just aint worth it
                              NAPA used to have a "better" quality of Parts
                              but now it's just the Dorman crap that everyone sells

My Marquis needs exhaust after 16 years, I will buy Ford rather than Walker, 'cause it will last another 10-16 years, rather than 3
                              sic semper boogaloo

Comment

Working...
                              X