Took a stab at fixing some vinyl upholstery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a stab at fixing some vinyl upholstery

Grandma has a 70s era kitchen dinette set with two long benches and a couple of swivel chairs. The seat cushions were all dry rotted and cracked. Bought some vinyl at fabric store for $100. My sewing machine couldn't really handle the piping so wound up just top stitching the seam. Came out pretty good for my first shot at this stuff. I'm sure I saved Grandma several hundred dollars if she had them done professionally. It was actually pretty easy the hardest part was removing all the staples holding on the original covers. I definitely feel better about tackling my boat next but am going to buy a better machine for that project.

The back rests on the two long benches are original.

Going to sand and re-stain the oak arm rests on the swivel chairs.

You're pretty damm handy for being onnea them DownStaters there, CRG
    nice job !!
    sic semper boogaloo

Comment

Nice Job C !!! What kind of machine do you have at present?

Comment

Husqvarna

ARRRR, ARRRR

Well, truth be told, it's actually yellow and green with pretty flowers, LMAO...

Comment

Our boat upholstery needs some love, too, but there's no way we're shelling out the dough to do it, and tackling all of it on my own is a giant no go. No time or skill to do that (I wish it weren't true, though. I'd much rather do stuff myself than pay someone). Sadly, it's probably just going to live as is until we get a new boat (it's already 30+ years old)
          Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Comment

I'll let you know how it goes after I get new machine maybe I can help you out. Can you pull off old covers and staple on new ones? I think the trick is to use old one as template for new one. There are a few seats that really need to be fixed on my boat esp the two that get stepped on to get on and off. They're torn at seams pretty badly. I've stitched them back together by hand but now vinyl is dry rotting and falling apart. The rest of the upholstery is pretty good but may replace to match new stuff. Idk will see how it goes....

Comment

Originally posted by Cgrutt View Post
              I'll let you know how it goes after I get new machine maybe I can help you out. Can you pull off old covers and staple on new ones? I think the trick is to use old one as template for new one. There are a few seats that really need to be fixed on my boat esp the two that get stepped on to get on and off. They're torn at seams pretty badly. I've stitched them back together by hand but now vinyl is dry rotting and falling apart. The rest of the upholstery is pretty good but may replace to match new stuff. Idk will see how it goes....
              I haven't looked all that closely at it, but I believe yes, they're stapled and can be removed. The down side is the sheer quantity of pits that need to be redone. It's pretty much a non-starter because of it (which is crazy since it's not a big boat...19' bow rider). But you have 2 seats in the back, plus the dog house, 2 seats in the middle that are essentially 4 (2 seats each, connected back to back), then the 3 cushions in the front.

Comment

Yeah I know exactly what seats you're talking about those seem like they'd be a ***** to repair. All of mine are pretty straight forward aside from some piping and decorative stitching. Hadn't really thought about replacing captains chairs have to take a closer look at those but mine are still in good shape.

Comment

One of the biggest problems is that some seats are ok while others aren't, but if you replace one, you have to do all of them otherwise it looks bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X