Wiper Arms Slipping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Arms Slipping

This is one of those things that should be really simple, but it's annoying frustrating.

I took the van to the shop a week or two ago to have the check engine light/misfire fixed (they couldn't find the problem). In the process, the had to remove the wiper arms and wiper tray to get access to the back side of the motor. No big deal, really. That is, until it started raining.

I've now had both wiper arms slip on the spindles and get stuck in various undesirable locations. I've reset them a couple times and they keep slipping/coming lose. Im
    about ready to loctite the nuts and arms to the spindles.

is that a good idea? I'd only use something like blue loctite so it wouldn't be permanent.
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care

I'd trust your judgement and say go for it.
    www.AvidArms.com I'm STIHL out of conditioner!!
    Finally joined the ranks of broke homeowner
    Am I short stroking or going to fast?

I know he has a bush

Comment

As a temporary fix yes. But take it back and have them fix it if they caused the problem.
      Society is screwed. Enjoy!

best to make it soft and wet before making a harder pass.

Comment

Have you pulled off arm and cleaned splines? They can get clogged with aluminum and no longer bite into arm. If cleaning doesn't work try wrapping spline with some aluminium foil and reseating it.
        Gun and magazine bans - the government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own. President-Elect Donald J Trump

Comment

I haven't taken them off, but I don't think they're splines. I'll take a closer look.

Comment

Might have nut on top but usually spline on bottom. Remove nut lift arm 90 degrees remove arm. Splines get clogged with aluminum from arm if it slips. Clean with utility knife.
            Gun and magazine bans - the government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own. President-Elect Donald J Trump

Comment

They should have a tapered spline. The nuts are usually loctited from the factory. Goop em up and lock em down.
              Sticky Lips at High Noon!

Comment

Looks like Chris was right. The splines were pretty well packed with crud. I cleaned them out and reinstalled. We'll see if they stay put this time.
                Last edited by camper4lyfe; 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X