I suck at sharpening knives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suck at sharpening knives

So Mek's thread (posted below) helped me realize that I just can't get a knife beyond "moderately sharp".

I've watched a ton of videos and tried a bunch of things, but nothing seems to work. I've tried stones, lanky system, marker on the bevel - no super sharp knives.

Anyone have suggestions?

http://avidarms.com/forum/outdoors-a...er-suggestions
    Athiest. Because... science

Buy better knives made with better steel. I've had cheap knives that I could never get sharp.
    I bought my sons out of state.

Comment

Send them to Mek! LOL...

I've had pretty good luck with water stones, which reminds me, need to sharpen my EDC...

Comment

Wet diamond stone pad has always been my method. I use to polish my edges on my snowboards with it too. Man, I miss boarding!
        "I see Nuthhink..... I know nuthink!!!!!"

I still have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GUNSICK View Post
          Buy better knives made with better steel. I've had cheap knives that I could never get sharp.
          My American made ka-bar's are the hardest. Trouble with the kinfolks, mora, becker, kershaw, etc...

Comment

Are you saying that you are unable to get them sharp or keep them sharp? IMO the lansky system works well if you have the extra fine stone which is not in the standard kit and purchased seperately.

Comment

I use a ceramic rod, quick, easy and very sharp when done right.
              I'm no proctologist, but I know an azzhole when I see one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                Are you saying that you are unable to get them sharp or keep them sharp? IMO the lansky system works well if you have the extra fine stone which is not in the standard kit and purchased seperately.
                Get them sharp. I have the lanky 5 stone kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                  I use a ceramic rod, quick, easy and very sharp when done right.
                  Any tips on doing it right?

Comment

just try to slice fillets gently off the rod pulling blade towards the handle. Do it 3-4 times each side of the blade, repeat if necessary. You're not really trying to remove material, just deburring the edge.
                    I'm no proctologist, but I know an azzhole when I see one!!

Comment

Wow it has rained since I started that thread and all the sudden people are interested in sharpening...

I use the same system that it has been used for centuries. I have been using the same stone
                      I think there is something very romantic about looking for a suitable stone on a river bed.
                      I cracked it and then started conditioning by starting with coarser stuff like farming tools.

The one below has been serving well for 40+ years.

I have another smaller one that I harvested from the same river bed.

Mother earth is the best provider of whatever one needs.

You just need to know what to look for and if the first time doesn't work then one will learn and the next will.

The best part is the Quality Assurance Testing...

It is a shame when people demanding tolerance, have no tolerance

Comment

Working...
                      X