Stupid Rust (and Dodge)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Rust (and Dodge)

After replacing the coil pack last night to get rid of the damn P0301 engine code, I dropped the van (05 Grand Caravan) off at the shop for new tires and an alignment this morning.

I got a call from the shop, and typical for these Caravans, after doing a quick inspection of it, he gave me a laundry list of things that need replacing: cabin air filter (no big deal), the transmission pan is leaking, the rear valve cover gasket is leaking (why couldn't it be the FRONT??), and the oil pan is almost toast from rust.

In all, they're not horrible repairs financially, but what a pain in the ass to have to deal with it, especially working in the driveway. The worst is going to be the valve cover gasket. I'm either going to have to remove the intake plenum, or the wiper assembly tray to get to it. While I'm there, I'll be replacing the PCV valve, since we're coming up on 140,000 miles, and it can't hurt since I'll actually be able to get to it. Additionally, since I have to drop the transmission pan to either replace it, the gasket, or both, I might as well do a filter change too. The oil pan replacement will come with one of the next couple oil changes, so I don't have to do a short change.
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Makes sense to do a few things at once when you have the car up for repairs/maintenance.
    The rust is a big problem on these latitudes and some parts last a lot less than what they should.
    Last edited by Meketrefe; 09-28-2016, 01:18 PM.
    It is a shame when people demanding tolerance, have no tolerance

Comment

Originally posted by Meketrefe View Post
      Makes to do a few things at once when you have the car up for repairs/maintenance.
      The rust is a big problem on these latitudes and some parts last a lot less than what they should.
      Yeah, Overall it's not bad, just a long list. Looking at about $160 in parts, plus fluids. It's not horrible, but still a lot of time.

Comment

Yeah, the older the car, the more stuff like this you wind up doing. But hey, there's no car payment and it's fun to learn it...
        Athiest. Because... science

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post

Yeah, Overall it's not bad, just a long list. Looking at about $160 in parts, plus fluids. It's not horrible, but still a lot of time.
          Only one can put value to time or then pay someone. Usually when we have time we don't have the money and we have the money we don't have the time.
          Also if it is something one can do and enjoy doing like a hobby vs. hating doing like me with any drywall. I hate drywall.

It is a shame when people demanding tolerance, have no tolerance

Comment

Originally posted by Meketrefe View Post

Only one can put value to time or then pay someone. Usually when we have time we don't have the money and we have the money we don't have the time.
            Also if it is something one can do and enjoy doing like a hobby vs. hating doing like me with any drywall. I hate drywall.
            The hard part comes when you don't have the time or money lol. Really, my biggest problem is that I don't have the space to do it, so my time that I have to do it is limited to daylight or flashlight.

Comment

Dodge and Nissan seem to have a particularly awful aversion to salt. NOt that the rest of cars in this area don't, but those 2 seem to rust out faster than everything else.
              Sticky Lips at High Noon!

Comment

I had a 95 Pathfinder a couple cars ago. I lifted the back seat once and realized I could see the ground. Oops!

Comment

I have an old 1995 Ford Ranger I use for my long range commuter and work truck. I drive a little over 500-1,000 miles a week so a new vehicle would be worthless by the time it was paid off. Had new tires put on Tuesday, and found out I need new tie-rod ends ASAP and brakes before the snow flys. I am gonna end up paying to have everything done because between my own business and part time work I never have a real day off anymore. One of my wifes family friends owns a garage, so parts labor and alignment is only gonna cost $75. Also some how this is 21 year old truck with its 4.0 V6 gets mileage than our 2014 Honda CRV.

Comment

Don't want to be a downer but if having rust issues be sure to check your brake lines.
                    Ok I can go a couple ways

Comment

Originally posted by Calculon View Post
                      Don't want to be a downer but if having rust issues be sure to check your brake lines.
                      Yeah. I'm sure it's all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post
                        Really, my biggest problem is that I don't have the space to do it, so my time that I have to do it is limited to daylight or flashlight.
                        If my garage wasn't full of remodeling project stuff I'd let you use it for the work.

Originally posted by dwa12479 View Post
                        Dodge and Nissan seem to have a particularly awful aversion to salt. NOt that the rest of cars in this area don't, but those 2 seem to rust out faster than everything else.
                        Well crap. I drive a Frontier.

NRA Life Member
                        NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
                        www.unconvictedfelon.com
                        www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by dwa12479 View Post
                          Huh??? Apparently you haven't come across the 8 year old GM and 5 year old (or newer) Ford trucks with rusted and broken frames and well .... every other vehicle that hasn't been properly undercoated and maintained. (as in cleaned regularly) LOL It really doesn't have as much to do with manufacturer as it does the owners not doing what should have been done in these here parts. The list in the OP was what is to be expected in a 12 year old vehicle. (Yes it's 12 years old .. 2017's are out). Maybe it's me because of my experience, but being in and around the automotive business for MANY years (yes .. I was in grandpa's working garage changing oil at 6 years old ... with alittle help getting some of the filters off) makes me look alittle differently?? Not sure, but the list is normal and as for the rust .... China is to blame!!! LMAO Their metal SUCKS!!! ........... but man is it cost effective. Hahahaha Good luck to the OP. Sounds like they have it under control.

http://saratogatackle.com/

I now have a towel head asking if I wanna see his "talibaner"!

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Shoot View Post

Huh??? Apparently you haven't come across the 8 year old GM and 5 year old (or newer) Ford trucks with rusted and broken frames and well .... every other vehicle that hasn't been properly undercoated and maintained. (as in cleaned regularly) LOL It really doesn't have as much to do with manufacturer as it does the owners not doing what should have been done in these here parts. The list in the OP was what is to be expected in a 12 year old vehicle. (Yes it's 12 years old .. 2017's are out). Maybe it's me because of my experience, but being in and around the automotive business for MANY years (yes .. I was in grandpa's working garage changing oil at 6 years old ... with alittle help getting some of the filters off) makes me look alittle differently?? Not sure, but the list is normal and as for the rust .... China is to blame!!! LMAO Their metal SUCKS!!! ........... but man is it cost effective. Hahahaha Good luck to the OP. Sounds like they have it under control.
                            Im 20 years slinging wrenches professionally, 15 of which were for a GM dealer. I've seen a few things over the years. Lol.

That'd not a terrible list that Camper has to tackle.

While we're at it, let's not forget the Toyota recall for Tacoma and Tundra frames rotting through. Doh!! Lol
                            Sticky Lips at High Noon!

Comment

Working...
                            X