Bear & Moose Whacker Upper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear & Moose Whacker Upper

As some of you know I have been designing a new cartridge design to announce as a NYSH exclusive special caliber.
    I looking into building a 35 caliber hunting upper and post all the development here so others can enjoy.

I have another thread to follow up on development. Initially these are the directives:

- It will be compact and super accurate

- It will be a powerful cartridge in large caliber to dispatch the largest animals with authority.

- It must work reliably with standard 6.8 or grendel 10 rds magazines.

- Initially I like the 35 so we can use some of the 9mm, 357 and 358 budget/ bulk deals so it will be affordable to shoot for practice.
    The speeds of 357 154gr bullets will be brutal in many game and 180gr and 200gr to pop dinosaurs! lol.

- It must be easy to reload and use a wide range of common and affordable powders.

- It will serve as a SHTF gun than could also be shot with black powder and common 9mm bullets.

- I can also shoot subsonic and lead boolits if needed.

- It will use common easy to find brass and other brass can be used to easily form the cases with little more than 1 time trimming and reaming. No fire-forming needed.

- Barrel will be with a target crown and/or sleeve to protect it so it is BS SAFE compliant.

When looking at the different vendors I see volume discounts starting at 4 units and then prices get a lot better and I have to have some custom reaming ordered. So by
    keeping this in the mid $700, prices drop with volume, of course one could spend a fortune in just the rails but I don't think it adds any value. The value is in good barrels
    and bolts and a decent rail that one can use with any standard lower.

The good thing about this is that it will pay by itself pretty easily by shooting pistol bullets for practice and accuracy barrel life would be above 20,000 rounds.

35 caliber is well known for letting lots of air in and lots of blood out.

A few questions for you...

A) So would anyone be interested in a group a buy so we can order more bolts and barrels?

B) Also how should we name this bad boy. 35FortyTwo, 35 Brutus, 35 NYSH, 35 GBS (Gunner's Bar Special) ? LOL

Ballistics Results (estimated calculations)
    RANGE(YARDS) VELOCITY(FPS) ENERGY(FT.-LB.) TRAJECTORY(IN) COME UP IN MOA COME UP IN MILS WIND DRIFT(IN) WIND DRIFT IN MOA WIND DRIFT IN MILS
    Muzzle 2200 2149 -2.5 0 0 0 0 0
    100 1940 1671 3.4 -3.3 -0.9 0 0 0
    200 1701 1284 0 0 0 0 0 0
    300 1486 981 -15.5 4.9 1.4 0 0 0
    your thoughts?
    Last edited by Meketrefe; 01-06-2015, 07:25 PM.
    It is a shame when people demanding tolerance, have no tolerance

This is very interesting. I can't say that I'm in a position to fund it, but I realy want to watch it happen.

Comment

BTW since I am at this I was planning in ordering a couple of shotgun inserts. One for the 7.62x39 to have in case of SHTF. If someone has a break open shotgun with
      a strong action like a Beretta or browning, etc... and he/she is interested in having any tubes those could be ordered with the barrels with different cut dimensions. All is needed later is an O ring to keep it from moving inside the bore. This is the same as any other popular inserts but hopefully cheaper and a bit more accurate than the ones they sell online.

Comment

Oh hell yeah, I'm in. Especially if you name it after me!!

Comment

LOL. 35 Gunner? Then later we can make one for the AR10 in 35x57Gunner LOL

Lets start a count:

Member Uppers Type
          ======= ===== =======
          Gunner .....1 ........18" SS.
          Meke.........2....... 18" and 20" SS and Cerakoted
          BulletGuy..1...... ..18" - cerakoted
          BuellSix8...2.........9"(for pistol) - ~18" both cerakoted.
          Last edited by Meketrefe; 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

How about 35FUAC . It would get our point across.

Comment

LOL maybe 357 FUAC?

I like 357 Gunner.

Comment

I can't afford another upper at the moment, and honestly if I could afford something besides new tires it would be a new pistol.

I think 357MGS. 357 Meketrefe Gunner Special. Then if you make one that's a bit hotter it can be the magnum.

Or 35 PMS.
                Performance Meketrefe Style. Call the magnum 35PMS Mag.
                OIF/OND Veteran

Comment

Sounds awesome! I like brutus the best.

LMAO at "let's lots of air in and lots of blood out"!

I'm interested, but don't reload.
                  Athiest. Because... science

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                    I can't afford another upper at the moment, and honestly if I could afford something besides new tires it would be a new pistol.

I think 357MGS. 357 Meketrefe Gunner Special. Then if you make one that's a bit hotter it can be the magnum.

Or 35 PMS.
                    Performance Meketrefe Style. Call the magnum 35PMS Mag.
                    LMAO .. PMS is already a popular acronym all the guys here we know about pretty well ... but I like your thinking...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20020003

Comment

I'm practically married. I've lived with her for nearly 5 years. I'm all to aware of what PMS is... hence the name. I mean, what does damage worse then PMS?
                      OIF/OND Veteran

Comment

Interested as well but I haven't started down the reloading path yet.
                        Ok I can go a couple ways

Comment

The Shenaniguns are looking good !!! ... but we have a dilemma.
                          I think some 357 bullets might disintegrate after leaving the barrel with so much speed. Perhaps we should do something milder
                          easier to shoot. Here is the 308 case version...

Comment

What speed are we looking at now?

Comment

I have estimated with a 20" barrel but a 19" or 21" will be very similar.
                              ​
                              More Speed and energy than the 308 winchester with 180gr !! 357 Gunner. 180gr Ballistics Results -
                              RANGE(YARDS) VELOCITY(FPS) ENERGY(FT.-LB.) TRAJECTORY(IN) COME UP IN MOA COME UP IN MILS WIND DRIFT(IN) WIND DRIFT IN MOA WIND DRIFT IN MILS
                              Muzzle 2611 2725 -2.5 0 0 0 0 0
                              100 2269 2058 2.2 -2.1 -0.6 0 0 0
                              200 1954 1526 0 0 0 0 0 0
                              300 1668 1112 -11.3 3.6 1 0 0 0
                              This with a 357 147gr budget FMJ pistol/357 magnum bullet.

357 Gunner. 147gr Ballistics Results
                              Muzzle 2918 2779 -2.5 0 0 0 0 0
                              100 2490 2024 1.6 -1.5 -0.4 0 0 0
                              200 2101 1441 0 0 0 0 0 0
                              300 1750 999 -9.5 3 0.9 0 0 0
                              223 remington speeds with a 147gr bullet! LOL.

Anything one hunts/hits in the 200 yards range will explode or will be chopped in two pieces. LOL
                              But I am concerned about bullet jacket separation. Although the bonded and solid like barnes and
                              copper, etc.. will remain integral just like the rifle bullets.
                              But I really think a tad smaller case to make it more pleasant to shoot and save fuel.
                              One can always make it milder to manage recoil but I think it is more overhead and with something
                              a tad milder is plenty to hunt anything walking on this continent.

Just for your reference this is compared to the popular 458 socom. So more energy than the
                              socom and it shoots a lot flatter. Still we need to demonstrate this but even if I am off by 25% still...

458 Socom with 325gr FTX - Ballistics Results
                              Muzzle 1860 2496 -2.5 0 0 0 0 0
                              100 1562 1761 6 -5.7 -1.7 0 0 0
                              200 1312 1242 0 0 0 0 0 0
                              300 1127 916 -26.2 8.3 2.4 0 0 0
                              Last edited by Meketrefe; 01-07-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X