Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Attempting To Show Up California?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Attempting To Show Up California?

My first thought about this bill is "they would never actually sign this into law". But, we're dealing with the bunch of clowns who passed the SAFE act, so perhaps I shouldn't be so complacent.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/A2260

S 2353. FIREARM OWNERS INSURANCE POLICIES.

1. ANY PERSON IN THIS STATE WHO SHALL OWN A FIREARM SHALL, PRIOR TO SUCH OWNERSHIP, OBTAIN AND CONTINUOUSLY MAINTAIN A POLICY OF LIABILITY INSURANCE IN AN AMOUNT NOT LESS THAN TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS SPECIFICALLY COVERING ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY NEGLIGENT ACTS INVOLVING THE USE OF SUCH FIREARM WHILE IT IS OWNED BY SUCH PERSON. FAILURE TO MAINTAIN SUCH INSURANCE SHALL RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF SUCH OWNER'S REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND ANY OTHER PRIVILEGE TO OWN SUCH FIREARM.

2. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, A PERSON SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE THE OWNER OF A FIREARM IF SUCH FIREARM IS LOST OR STOLEN UNTIL SUCH LOSS OR THEFT IS REPORTED TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT OR SHERIFF WHICH HAS JURIS- DICTION IN THE COUNTY, TOWN, CITY OR VILLAGE IN WHICH SUCH OWNER RESIDES.

3. ANY PERSON WHO OWNS A FIREARM ON THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS SECTION SHALL OBTAIN THE INSURANCE REQUIRED BY THIS SECTION WITHIN THIRTY DAYS OF SUCH EFFECTIVE DATE.

4. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY TO ANY PEACE OFFICER WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A FIREARM.

5. THE DEPARTMENT IS HEREBY AUTHORIZED AND DIRECTED TO PROMULGATE RULES AND REGULATIONS NECESSARY TO CARRY OUT THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION.

S 2. This act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall have become a law, provided, however, that effective immediately, the addition, amendment and/or repeal of any rule or regulation necessary for the implementation of this act on its effective date is authorized to be made and completed on or before such date.
    I just looked it up, and I think the minimum liability coverage for automobile insurance in New York State is $25,000/50,000 for one or multiple people. I'm not entirely sure about that, but why would firearms require 5X that number when they are involved in far fewer accidental injuries than automobiles?

Secondly, they are putting a time limit on when people are required to have the insurance. Is such insurance readily available?
    If not will it be available within the time limit required? How will they know whether people have complied?

I would hope every gun owner in New York thinks long and hard about proposals like this before they simply comply with the pistol permit renewal process. Things are only going to get worse if we don't make a stand. How about making a stand now by renewing pistol permits at the same rate that we registered our MSRs? We've got some time to get organized. Let's utilize it.
    Last edited by WARFAB; 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

it never stops ...
    why would anyone want to live in this $^&$&*'n STATE ..??
    “The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power in power.” – Gerry Spence

Comment

Why do I need insurance for a right? Everyone should have to get insurance in case their words or actions cause harm to another then.
      www.AvidArms.com I'm STIHL out of conditioner!!
      Finally joined the ranks of broke homeowner
      Am I short stroking or going to fast?

I know he has a bush

Comment

This has been tried time and time again. One would HOPE it'd never fly because it's essentially a tax on a right, which is a no go.

But hey, never count this state out of the stupidity race.
        Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Comment

But wait, I thought we couldn't own firearms under NY law. LMFAO.
          Gun and magazine bans - the government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own. President-Elect Donald J Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Cgrutt View Post
            But wait, I thought we couldn't own firearms under NY law. LMFAO.
            Great point... Maybe criminals in general should get insurance to cover damages for their crimes lol
            www.AvidArms.com I'm STIHL out of conditioner!!
            Finally joined the ranks of broke homeowner
            Am I short stroking or going to fast?

I know he has a bush

Comment

I guess my point is the people who are writing these stupid proposals don't even know the existing laws. Give me a brake! (Or is that break?). Lol.
              Gun and magazine bans - the government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own. President-Elect Donald J Trump

Comment

And if they ever passed this I wonder if the FUDDs would finally wake up when they found out they needed to buy mandatory liability insurance when they go to pick up their box of shot gun shells come hunting season...

Comment

Working...
                X