I'm so proud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so proud

My 4 year old keeps asking for a gun, to which I tell him that he's not old enough yet. Almost every day he asks if he's old enough yet.

Brings a tear to my eye.

This does warrant the question, though, how old should one be to start considering a gun, and what should I start him with?
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care

I'm of the opinion that chronological age is not the deciding factor. If he seems mature enough, and if he has an understanding of what a gun can and will do, test the waters with a BB gun or pellet rifle. If he demonstrates the ability to handle shooting an air rifle responsibly, maybe it's time to move up to a rimfire.

I'm looking forward to taking my daughter to the range. It will be interesting to see when she seems ready. She has already watched lots of videos from club matches on my phone.

The laws regarding kids shooting in New Yorkistan are a sore point for me. There are grade schoolers competing in 3 gun events in other states, but kids have to be at least 12 to legally shoot a rifle in New Yorkistan.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    www.unconvictedfelon.com
    www.facebook.com/blackcoyotesrt

I was thinking of his cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by WARFAB View Post
      I'm of the opinion that chronological age is not the deciding factor. If he seems mature enough, and if he has an understanding of what a gun can and will do, test the waters with a BB gun or pellet rifle. If he demonstrates the ability to handle shooting an air rifle responsibly, maybe it's time to move up to a rimfire.

I'm looking forward to taking my daughter to the range. It will be interesting to see when she seems ready. She has already watched lots of videos from club matches on my phone.

The laws regarding kids shooting in New Yorkistan are a sore point for me. There are grade schoolers competing in 3 gun events in other states, but kids have to be at least 12 to legally shoot a rifle in New Yorkistan.
      The "it depends" answer was more or less what I was expecting. He's been pretty good around my guns, and respecting the rules of the gun safe and what's in it.

If it happens on private property, and no one's around to see it, does it really happen?

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post
        If it happens on private property, and no one's around to see it, does it really happen?
        Does what happen? I don't even know what you're talking about.

That's why I've informed my father that first introductions to shooting are going to happen at his house on his property.
        NRA Life Member
        www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

It only happens when it happens,but odds are it will never happen, LOL.. Good luck, I drilled Eddie Eagle into my boy's head from early on. He's great around guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgrutt View Post
            It only happens when it happens,but odds are it will never happen, LOL.. Good luck, I drilled Eddie Eagle into my boy's head from early on. He's great around guns.
            We did start the Eddie Eagle thing with him. That reminds me that we need to revisit it again just as a refresher.

Comment

Good luck, I drilled Eddie Eagle into my boy's head from early on. He's great around guns.
              Time to break out the Barrett.

NRA Life Member
              www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

We're making a rail gun, lol...

Comment

We're making a rail gun, lol...
                  Are you going to post build photos?
                  NRA Life Member
                  www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Whenever you feel he is responsible enough for a bb gun is right age Imho. Glad your so lucky
                    www.AvidArms.com I'm STIHL out of conditioner!!
                    Finally joined the ranks of broke homeowner
                    Am I short stroking or going to fast?

I know he has a bush

Comment

My boys were maybe 5 when they started shooting, by 6 they could field strip all my guns. They didn't grow up to be criminals but they do love killing deer.
                      I'm no proctologist, but I know an azzhole when I see one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                        My boys were maybe 5 when they started shooting, by 6 they could field strip all my guns. They didn't grow up to be criminals but they do love killing deer.
                        He talks about hunting a lot too, mostly deer, but he's made noise about squirrels too.

Comment

Originally posted by camper4lyfe View Post
                          He talks about hunting a lot too, mostly deer, but he's made noise about squirrels too.
                          Once he's proficient and understands the safety rules, he's more than welcome to hunt the chipmunks in my back yard. I could probably even come up with a reward for every confirmed kill.

NRA Life Member
                          www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Originally posted by WARFAB View Post

Are you going to post build photos?
                            Sure, if we get it working and don't shoot anybody's eye out, LOL...

Comment

Accident videos usually get more hits.

NRA Life Member
                              www.unconvictedfelon.com

Comment

Working...
                              X